In the interest of beefing out a real “blog” section I thought I’d talk a little bit about real life.
As some of you know, I don’t work in the industry. I have an ordinary desk job helping people make money with online advertising. The nice kind, not the annoying kind. Well that desk job is about to send me on a 3 week trip around the world to make everyone some money. It would be pretty sweet to make a project out of this, so I’m going to post my itinerary and hope that you can help me think of something totally sweet to try.
Here’s the rundown. Starting Sunday the 19th…
- Fly to New York City. This is the easy part. I’m bringing LSDJ and I want to learn how to use it.
- Stay in New York until Wednesday, brainstorming with smarter people and hugging our engineers because they tolerate us in Ops pretty well.
- Wednesday I fly down to Austin TX to meet up with some friends and be reminded that there’s no place like Texas.
- On Thursday I fly back to SF to get my bearings, sleep comfy for a few nights, and get a Star Craft 2 fix.
- Then on Sunday (09/26) I fly back to New York City as a layover to Dublin, Ireland.
- It’s a full week of rocking out with other kids in operations with trainings, coaching clients, and making everyone some money.
- Go partying with the Dubliners as often as possible and as hard as possible without requiring hospitalization.
- Then the following Saturday it’s off to Paris to spend some time with family and get put in my place for only speaking English like an idiot American. I also can’t readily distinguish between a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio which probably won’t win me any points either.
- Then on Wednesday it’s a grueling 2 day flight that would have taken two months by boat a few hundred years ago. What an inconvenient distance!
On the one hand, this means I get to see the world and hang out with people that I only really know as e-mail addresses right now. On the other hand, it means working while under the stresses of jet lag, language barriers, and my regular workload.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on a neat project to go with this that doesn’t get me hurt or fired I’m all ears.
More to follow as it happens!